I made this for my mom on Christmas eve because she had a cold and she had all these veggies in the fridge that needed to be eaten. It’s nice and hearty and the colors are really christmasy too! The chutney is what really made it though, in my opinion.
- 1 16oz package of dry green lentils
- 1 cup yellow and orange bell pepper diced
- 1/2 white onion diced
- 3 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 16 oz package of baby carrots chopped
- 5-6 cauliflower florets
- 1 cup of green beans (not canned)
- 1 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups of water (you can add more or less, depending on if you want a thicker or more soupy stew. i like it thick)
- 1 cup of apple cranberry chutney (I used a recipe from http://delicioustv.com/2007/06/apple-chutney/ but I added 1 jalapeno to give it an extra kick!)
- sprinkle of hot sauce
- salt and fresh black pepper to taste
Sweat the onion and peppers in a non-stick pan with olive oil and a pinch of sea salt until translucent. Add garlic and let cook a couple more minutes, making sure not to let the garlic burn. Add onion, peppers, garlic and spices and bring to a boil. Cover and cook on low-med heat for about 20-30 minutes until lentils are soft. Makes about 6-8 servings.
I ended up having to freeze a lot of the chutney because we couldn’t eat it all but it’s good to have on hand to use as a garnish or even to eat on crackers! And it’s awesome on pizza too.